Cancer research UK launches nationwide contactless collections for world cancer day
Supporters will have the opportunity to donate £2 to the charity’s life-saving research to beat cancer sooner by simply tapping their contactless card on a specially designed reader, operated by its fundraising volunteers.
Ed Aspel, executive director of fundraising and marketing at Cancer Research UK said: “It’s really exciting for us to be rolling out contactless giving across the UK on this scale. We’re committed to exploring new, innovative ways to fundraise and accept supporter donations, and with the increasing use of contactless, this seems a natural next step.
“We’ve been at the forefront of contactless giving in the third sector, having launched a small scale pilot in four of our shop windows last year. But this activity takes it to a new level, and will ensure we stay relevant and make it as easy as possible for people to donate in a way that suits them. It really is as simple as popping some spare change in a collection tin, and all money raised will go towards our life-saving research to beat cancer sooner.”
This launch represents a wider initiative which aims to bring contactless payments to the sector. Cancer Research UK has been working alongside other charities, as well as payment organisations Payter, Creditcall and Elavon, to ensure that the trial is successful. The charity will be sharing learnings so that the industry as a whole will benefit.
This year, as part of World Cancer Day, which takes place each year on 4 February, Cancer Research UK is working with Breast Cancer Care, Anthony Nolan and the Movember Foundation to unite the nation and transform the lives of millions who are affected by cancer. Each small donation, ensures that we CAN do something about cancer.
Support World Cancer Day by making a small donation, or getting one of the specially designed Unity Bands™. For further information, visit www.worldcancerday.co.uk .
For further press information, please contact Kim Ireland in the Cancer Research UK press office on 0203 469 8586 / email@example.com
List of locations:
- London Bridge x 2
- Canary Wharf station
- Oxford Circus station
- Paddington station
- Waterloo station
- Liverpool Street station
- Glasgow city centre
- York train station
- Towcester Racecourse
- Liverpool Lime Street
- Leeds train station
- Westfield (White City)
About Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive cancer. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that 3 in 4 people will survive cancer within the next 20 years
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
*Texts charged at £3 plus a standard rate text (age 16+, UK mobiles only). From this, Cancer Research UK will receive £2.93. Closes 30/03/2016